Pointe du Hoc
This Batterie which overlooked both the Omaha and Utah landing beaches was
equipped with six 155 mm type K418 guns. These guns would have had a range of
approximately 22 kms and could have inflicted damage to the Allied ships at both
the American landing beaches.
Only two of the Casemates were finished by D-day, but the guns not installed..
These were of the type H671. The Fire Control Post Type H636 was finished and
operational, and equipped with a telemeter to give accurate firing co-ordinates
to the guns.
The gun emplacements were concrete bases in the open.
During the winter of 1943 three Casemates of the type H679 were started, but not
In April 1944 the Allies bombed the site and destroyed one gun. Rommel decided
to move the remaining guns further inland. Also installed on the site were two
20 mm Flak 30 guns as well as numerous machine gun posts. The Regiment stationed
here at the time of D-day were the 2/HKAR 1260. On the next headland, Pointe du
Percee the Kriegsmarine had a radar station code named Imme, which also had its
own Flak 30 and machine gun posts. In many American documents during and after
the war Point du Hoc is often misspelt as
Pointe du Hoe. For more information on the taking of Pointe du Hoc visit our
other web site www.normandy1944.org.uk
The Fire Control Post has been closed to the public since 2001, but is due to
reopen on 6th June 2011, after the cliffs being stabilised. This work was funded
by the Americans.
Stp 75 R694 x 2 R501 - R661 - R502 - R621 x 2 - L409a x 2 - Vf58c - R134 x 2
- 155mm K418 x 6 - 20mm KwK38 x 3 - 37mm Flak 36 x 2 - Manned by 2/HKAA 1260